WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format.
- Using WinRAR puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression by consistently making smaller archives than the competition, saving disk space and transmission costs.
- WinRAR provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z archives.
- WinRAR offers a graphic interactive interface utilizing mouse and menus as well as the command line interface.
- WinRAR is easier to use than many other archivers with the inclusion of a special "Wizard" mode which allows instant access to the basic archiving functions through a simple question and answer procedure. This avoids confusion in the early stages of use.
- WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.
- WinRAR supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size. The number of archived files is, for all practical purposes, unlimited.
- WinRAR offers the ability to create selfextracting and multivolume archives.
Recovery record and recovery volumes allow to reconstruct even physically damaged archives.
- WinRAR features are constantly being developed to keep WinRAR ahead of the pack.
Changes in Version 3.70 :
1. Numerous Windows Vista compatibility changes:
a) help format changed from old HLP to newer HTML based CHM;
GUI self-extracting modules attempt to request for administrator permissions if they cannot create destination folder under current user account;
c) Log file rar.log and WinRAR theme files are stored in %APPDATA%\WinRAR folder instead of WinRAR program files folder.
Exported settings file settings.reg is also stored in %APPDATA%\WinRAR folder by default, but it is possible to select another folder in "Save WinRAR settings" and "Load WinRAR settings" dialogs. WinRAR searches for registration key and settings.reg both in its program files folder and in %APPDATA%\WinRAR;
It is possible to set the string value "AppData" in Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinRAR\Paths to override the default %appdata%\WinRAR path for WinRAR settings. For example, if you wish to store theme files in WinRAR folder, set this value to "c:\Program Files\WinRAR".
d) Vista compatibility changes in WinRAR shell integration;
e) New "Request administrative access" option in "Advanced" page of "Advanced SFX options" allows to create SFX archive, which will request the administrative access when started in Windows Vista. Command line equivalent of this option is -iadm switch.
2. Added support for ISO 13346 (UDF) file format. This format is frequently used in ISO images of DVD disks.
3. Added Unicode support for ISO 9660 files, so WinRAR should handle non-English file names in .iso files better.
4. Design changes in window displaying archiving and extraction progress:
a) it provides more space for file names, allowing lengthy names;
it displays the current archive name in separate line, allowing much longer archive names than before;
c) when archiving, it displays the current compression ratio in separate line;
d) it can use both standard Windows and classic WinRAR progress bars. Turn on "Windows progress bars" option in WinRAR "Settings/General" dialog to use standard progress bars. By default this option is on if some Windows visual style is active and off if Windows Classic theme is selected. Windows progress bars are two color only, so they do not indicate the current compression ratio. But now the ratio is displayed in separate line;
e) "Mode..." button moved to bottom of window.
5. GUI self-extracting modules support following command line switches:
-s silent mode, hide all
RAR PASS: MR-BOLICA